BRING YOUR PASSION FOR IMPACT
The Sustainability Education and Enterprise Development (SEED) program is your chance to join the next generation of innovators to create sustainable, world-changing startups. Let your entrepreneurship pave the path for a better tomorrow!
AN INTRODUCTION TO SEED (Formerly TSIC)
View this video to learn more
BE A CHANGEMAKER
Between Spring 2020 and Spring 2022, The Texas Sustainability Innovation Challenge (TSIC) provided $30,000 in seed funding to 13 teams of student entrepreneurs and provided impact business development curriculum to over 250 students. TSIC also supported six teams’ attendance at the Fowler Global Social Innovation Challenge at the University of San Diego, where UT Austin teams placed every year and won a total of $39,000 in additional funding. In fact, team Big & Mini placed second in 2021, and team Gazelle Ecosolutions won the Challenge in 2022. Now, TSIC is growing into its next iteration – the Sustainability Education and Enterprise Development (SEED) program.
SEED is more than just a competition. Unlike other challenges that occur over a shorter period, we provide mentorship, curriculum, and networking opportunities for students over two semesters. Our goal is to train future problem solvers to address root problems through a sustainability lens – not just to give a great pitch. SEED’s long-term mission is to create a collaborative network of educational institutions, impact businesses, and community programs to train youth to become sustainability innovation leaders in any career through education and experiential learning. In its 2022-2023 iteration, SEED workshops will focus on design and systems in the Fall and early venture creation in the Spring. An optional funding competition will be held on April 15th, 2023 for students who complete a few short deliverables (a business model canvas, elevator pitch, and systems analysis) in the spring. We envision SEED welcoming other schools to the workshops and competition over time.
Ready to join SEED? Register here to begin your sustainable entrepreneurship journey!
UT Austin teams won 1st place at the Fowler Global Social Innovation Challenge in 2022 and 2nd place in 2021! Read more on our incredible teams, Gazelle and Big & Mini, below:
PROGRAM DETAILS AND ELIGIBILITY
- This competition is an outlet for those interested in social and environmental innovation. You can join as an individual or a team. You do NOT have to have a venture or an idea already, but you are welcome to apply if you do!
- Pitch for a chance to win $10,000 in seed funding!
- The Global Sustainability Leadership Institue is providing FREE social entrepreneurship curriculum and workshops to participants! If you sign up, you will access online modules, workshops, and socials with students from across campus.
- Register here by January 27 for full access to our workshops!
- The 2022 pitch competition will be April 13th. However, participants will have two internal milestones to meet in the spring to prepare for the competition.
- The top two teams from SEED will attend the Fowler Global Social Innovation Challenge in June 2023 for a chance to win an additional $75,000 in funding!
- Build a community of socially and environmentally conscious innovators
- Develop ubiquitous skills such as systems thinking, impact measurement, and pitching
- Support students’ career exploration through experiential learning and mentorship
- Break down campus departmental silos and support interdisciplinary entrepreneurship
- Must have at least one UT-Austin student on the company’s founding team.
- Must register by 1/27/2023 and attend at least one Spring workshop.
- Must complete Spring quarter-final submission requirements:
- 2/6/2023: Systems infographic (challenge, existing solutions, gaps); Summary of problem and system surrounding it (5 pages)
- 2/27/2023: Business canvas and summary; 2-minute pitch video
- Top teams selected to move to live 10-minute pitches on 4/13
- Deliverable examples on the FGSIC website and Canvas
Project Xylem TeamNikita Patil and Shiva Bhakta
Gazelle TeamMihir Bendre, Dr. Thoralf Meyer (not UT student), Siddharth Thakur, Ben Breed, Amod Daherkar
Patina TeamCalvin Hines
cherryish yourself TeamSer Lee
Cross for Paws TeamChloe Capodagli
WellWorks cc TeamJonathan Charles and Jonathan Holstein