THE BUSINESS OF HEALTHCARE
Prepare for a career in healthcare, whether you're planning on being a health professional, designing the next big app or health device, or launching a career in consulting.
In-Depth Health Care with a Business Focus
The Business of Health Care Certificate Program is open to current undergraduate students of all majors at The University of Texas at Austin. The curriculum offers:
- Practicum courses that give you experience with real-world issues working with local healthcare agencies such as Dell-Seton, Dell Children's Medical Center, and volunteer charity clinics.
- Access to top Texas McCombs professors.
- A healthcare specialization on your transcript.
- Special internship opportunities.
CERTIFICATE COURSE OUTLINE
Lower Division Required Courses (6 hours)
- Choose one of the following:
- ACC 311/311H: Fundamentals of Accounting (Business Majors/Honors)
- ACC 310F: Foundations of Accounting: (Majors Outside Business
- Choose one of the following:
- N309: Global Health (Study Abroad equivalent available)
- SOC 308S/HS 301: Intro to Health and Society
- PBH 317: Public Health
Upper Division Required Courses (9 hours)
- OM 334M: Health Care Operations Management (pre-req: statistics)
- OM 235H required for Business Honors, will count toward certificate with one credit waived.
- While OM 334M is preferred to OM 235 for all business students, completing OM 235 before admission into the program will count toward this requirement with one credit waived.
- MAN 334M: Health Care Systems Management
- LEB 334M: Health Care Law & Policy
Upper-Division Elective (3 hours)
Choose one of the following:
- ACC 334M: Healthcare Accounting (pre-req: ACC 310F/ACC 311/H and MAN334M)
- ECO 325K (Economics Majors): Health Economics
- CMS 337 (Fall): Communicating to Build Sales Relationships
- MAN 366P (Fall): Social Entrepreneurship Practicum
- MAN 367P (Spring): Social Entrepreneurship Practicum
- HED 373 (Spring, Graduating Seniors Only): Evaluation & Research Design
- N 377 (Nursing Majors only): Leadership & Management of Nursing Care
- RM 369K: Managing Employee Risks & Benefits
- MIS 373: Healthcare Analytics
- Porto, Portugal Maymester: BME 320, CHE 379, ME 379M (open to all majors)
MAKE YOUR COLLEGE DEGREE A CAREER PATHAdding the Business of Health Care Certificate to your degree gives you skills, credibility, and a focused purpose to your undergraduate education. Turn your unique passion into a career in one of the fastest-growing and most valued sectors globally.
What are the requirements for admission/acceptance into the program?
- Have a 3.0 GPA or higher (reduced as of Fall 2018);
- Freshmen must have a GPA to apply.
- Submit an essay (up to 250 words) focusing on your healthcare career plans and how the certificate will help you achieve that (part of the application);
- Previous work, internships, or volunteering at a healthcare-related company or clinic preferred.
- Membership in a healthcare-related student org counts toward this preference. For a list of student orgs, see the Student Opportunities page.
Do I have to apply to the program?
Yes. There is a new process for applying to a certificate program and officially pursuing it. But we take care of one of the steps for you!
- To have time to complete all of the requirements, you should have at least two semesters remaining before you graduate, unless you need three or fewer classes to complete the certificate to apply to the program. Otherwise, you may not have enough time to complete all of the courses.
- Complete our registration form online. This will include an essay. The link will appear during the registration period, September 1st - October 1st or February 1st - March 31st.
- If you are accepted into the program, we will enter your application into UT's new Certificate system.
- You will receive an automated email (system-generated from the Registrar's Office) once that is entered that will direct you to your major/home college advisor to add it to your degree profile. Please do so within two weeks of receiving that email.
If you already applied for the program in UT's system, you will need to go through our application process to be considered.
When will I receive a response to my application?
The admissions review process should complete before the first registration period in October (for Spring Term) and March (for fall term). We will notify you of your acceptance into the program.
If you are not accepted, you will be able to reapply the following application period. We will consider your previous application as part of your points toward admissions.
Remember: you need to have at least two semesters remaining before you graduate unless you need three or fewer classes to complete the certificate to apply to the program. Otherwise, you won't have enough time to complete all of the courses. You have to successfully complete all courses in the program within 12-months of your graduation date to have them listed on your transcript.
What is the deadline to apply?
Our fall application period is September 1st - October 1st. Our spring application period is February 1st - March 31st.
Can BSA students apply for the Business of Healthcare Certificate if they are on a catalog previous to 16/18?
Yes. However, you will not be able to use the Business of Healthcare Certificate to satisfy the BSA minor or certificate requirement if you are on a catalog previous to 16/18.
If you are on an earlier catalog and you have time to complete the certificate in addition to your other requirements, we certainly welcome you to participate. BSA students on the 16/18 catalog can use the Business of Healthcare Certificate to satisfy their College of Natural Sciences requirement for the BSA.
What are the prerequisites for the courses?
Always refer to the course catalog for the most up-to-date prerequisites. Here is a list of known prerequisites as of Spring 2017:
24 semester hours of college credit
24 semester hours of college credit, MIS 301 or its equivalent, and credit or registration for Business Administration 324 or 324H
A prior UT statistics class or AP statistics is recommended.
ACC 311/311H or ACC 310F and upper-division standing
Prerequisites are subject to change. Please refer to your home/major advisor for prerequisite questions or concerns.
Can I receive credit for courses taken outside of UT Austin?
Equivalents to ACC311 will be accepted as transfer credit for non-business majors only. Otherwise, no. Students must complete the program's required 18 hours from six unique courses at UT Austin from the list of program courses outlined in the course catalog dated 12/14 or later.
Are there any substitutions for courses that are full?
We highly recommend that you contact us regarding any substitutions. If you run into this issue, please email us at Healthcare@McCombs.utexas.edu.
Can I take courses pass or fail?
No. You must take all courses for a letter grade to get credit for completing the certificate.
What are the study abroad opportunities?
You can Study Abroad with the UT International Office, earning N309, and up to 16 hours from the world-renowned University of Sydney in Sydney, Australia, with the Semester Plus: Global Health in Sydney program. This unique program allows students to explore the culture, health care systems, and global health concepts of the US, Australia, and the world. You can find more information about the program at UT Study Abroad. If you have questions about the program, email the program coordinator Julia Smith or attend a live Q&A.
There is also a Maymester course that can count as your elective for the program: International Perspectives on Design in Healthcare (BME 320, CHE 379, ME 379M, unique numbers change each year). The International Engineering Education runs this course in the Cockrell School of Engineering. This course requires no math or physics background, even though it is offered in the Cockrell School. It carries a Global Cultures flag and has no prerequisites. It is open to all majors. Maymesters run from the end of May through June. The deadline to apply for the 2019 Maymester is November 1st. There is a rolling admissions process for this. The deadline will be extended if spots are open.
How long does it take to complete the program?
The program requires six unique courses totaling 18 semester hours in addition to any prerequisites. The course requirements can be completed at your own pace. Several of our upper-division courses are only offered in spring or fall semesters.
As long as all certificate requirements are completed in conjunction with their degree requirements or within one year after earning their degree, transcript recognition will be granted. The University permits continuous registration for undergraduate classes even after a degree has been earned. However, if you have not been enrolled for one semester or longer, returning to take courses required applying to UT for readmission. Should you want to finish your certificate through University Extension, you may take Business of Healthcare classes through that program to complete your certification.
What if I'm graduating and haven't completed all of the requirements?
You have up to 12 months following your graduation to complete all course requirements for transcript credit. If you have at least nine hours completed, you can safely list it on your resume as a specialty, but you would not receive transcript credit.
How do I request certification?
UT has a new program that automates this part of the process and makes it a part of the degree audit process. However, please email to let us know you are graduating to ensure that we have graduation cords on hand. You will pick up graduation cords at the Texas Business Options office.
Will I receive a paper certificate in addition to my diploma?
No, transcript recognition officially certifies this accomplishment. To receive official certification, you must apply for the certificate when you apply for graduation or complete the certificate program requirements, whichever is later. Transcript recognition is awarded at the end of that semester or summer session.
SEE US FOR ADVISING
We invite you to schedule an advising appointment to find out if the Certificate fits your plans. Please specify the date and time that works best for you. Meetings must be arranged in advance and are by appointment only.